Saturday, February 6, 2010

The one with the baby talk

Random fact of the day: Keeping chicken fried rice in the fridge too long results in the eggs tasting rubbery after a while. Gross.

Hearing aids: I think I talk really loud. But no one ever tells me if I do. I just noticed a few patrons eavesdropping on my conversation at brunch today, so I thought maybe I was accidentally yelling. Oops. I can't tell how loud or quiet I am. I just try to match the noise level that I hear (or think I hear). Kind of like how when I drive, I just go at whatever speed everyone else is. Because the speed limit posting is just a suggestion, really.

In other news: Every now and then I get baby fever. I'm really not one of those girls who won't be happy until she's married with children. I'm savoring every moment of my single life. But my hormones don't care and tend to attack without warning. So once in a while, I wistfully wander through the baby section at department stores and dream about the pitter-patter of little feet. Sometimes I think my arms physically ache to hold a little one. One time, on Friends (get used to me starting sentences like this, too), Chandler and Monica were being interviewed to adopt a pregnant woman's baby. There was a mixup and the woman thought they were a different couple. When she found out they had misled her, she wanted to wash her hands of them. Chandler tried to talk her into giving them one more chance:

"I really want a kid. And when that day finally comes, I'll learn how to be a good dad. But my wife, she's already there. She's a mother without a baby."

And so my stupid hormones make me feel like a mother without a baby. But after a couple weeks, it passes. And I think about the upcoming wedding in our family and I dream about nieces and nephews instead. (I was thisclose to buying a baby shirt today that said "I love my auntie!" on it, even though I've been told in no uncertain terms that there are no plans for babies anytime soon. WHATEVER.)

No comments:

Post a Comment